Tuesday, August 19, 2008

DanielFast - Day 2

Today was a bit more challenging. The caffeine headache officially set in yesterday...although I've had worse during previous stretches of going caffeine free. Plus, I was so busy at work that I didn't have time to eat all of my already limited amount of food at lunch. So, I came home ravenous. Enter my superhero wife. Homemade salsa (people like to say salsa!), organic white corn chips and homemade whole wheat tortillas. I walked in the door and it was on! Between Caleb and I we consumed half of the bag of chips before "dinner" even got started. Talk about comfort food. :) OK, so here's the food rundown for Day 2.

Breakfast: same oatmeal as yesterday plus some raisins (didn't help much) and more OJ

Lunch: leftover pasta and tomatoes from the night before; water

Dinner: chips, salsa, whole wheat tortillas, homemade refried beans (out of dried pintos); water


Today we read John 2. A few things stood out to me today. In verse 4 Jesus is replying to Mary after she tells Him that they are out of wine at the wedding. He says, "Dear woman, why do you involve me? My time has not yet come." This reminded me of God's timing. I may be doing exactly what God wants me to do, but if I'm doing it at the wrong time (i.e. rushing in when God tells me to wait) it most likely won't turn out the way God intended. The other verse that stands out is Jesus telling of his death and resurrection 3 years before it happens in verse 19. "Destroy this temple and I will raise it again in three days." No one knew what he was talking about at the time, but John goes on a few verses later to describe how after the resurrection the disciples remembered Jesus saying this and it increased their faith. That's just cool! Jesus knew the impact of this one statement 3 years before it actually had an impact. It makes me think of all the limitations I put on God and how, at times, I try to keep him at arms length instead of just putting it ALL on the table and letting Him use it for His glory. Lord Jesus, help me to reach and recognize my tipping point - for your glory.

No comments: