Thursday, December 15, 2011

Day 12 & 13

My friend and fellow homeschool mom, Beth and I wanted to make sure we took some time to serve somewhere with the kids this Christmas season.  It's so easy to get wrapped up in the business of the season, and we really want to teach our kids to always be thinking of ways to serve and help others (and hopefully instill in them a deeper appreciation for all God has blessed them with).  Beth is the liaison for our church at Hope Cancer Center here in Charlotte, and was able to get the name of a boy whose mom is battling cancer. Because of all the costs that incur with her treatment, she was not going to be able to provide Christmas gifts for her kids.  As I sat at the breakfast table Monday morning and explained to our kids that we were going shopping for a boy they had never met, I wasn't expecting much excitement.  (I all too often underestimate the tender hearts of our kids).  To the contrary, as I explained that this boy would have NO Christmas if it weren't for the generosity of others, and that WE had the opportunity to provide that for him, they couldn't WAIT to get going!  Joshua was especially excited.  He wanted to know all about this boy and immediately began brainstorming ideas of what to get him.  Needless to say, shopping with seven kids between Beth and I was a little crazy, but it was well worth it and I think the kids all had fun picking out gifts.  Here are our savvy shoppers!
Tuesday, we thought we would have some fun with our annual Christmas party, complete with pizza, crafts, and more sugar than they should ever need! 
I love these kids...
 I could just eat HIM up!...
 Love it...
 I have no words...
Handprint ornaments...
Beth and I are always trying to think up fun things for them to do, and I think they enjoyed it all.  But we also discovered, they can be creative all on their own!
I spy Ella...(how did they get those swings over there?)
 Teamwork...
 Their "club"  I can only imagine the conversation that was transpiring 5 minutes before...
So grateful for friends.

No comments: